A fixed bridge is a restoration that replaces a missing tooth or teeth by connecting the teeth on each side of the space. This bridge is permanently cemented or bonded into place.
Removable bridges can replace as few as one tooth or many teeth. They are generally the least expensive option. The replacement teeth are attached to gum-colored acrylic which is supported on a metal framework. This bridge is removable, as the name implies, so it can be easily cleaned.
Advantages of fixed bridges:
- it will look, feel and function like your natural teeth
- it does not need to be removed from the mouth
Disadvantages of fixed bridges:
- the adjacent teeth are affected
- usually is more expensive than a removable bridge
Advantages of removable bridges:
- usually less expensive than other options
- easy to repair
Disadvantages of removable bridges:
- they can be less stable than other options
- some people find them uncomfortable to wear
- they can break or can be lost
- they are removable